How to Transfer Car Title in Illinois
When selling your car, there is a little paperwork that needs to be done. But we want to make it as easy as possible to transfer car title in Illinois. The process of Illinois title transfer is actually pretty simple. By working with an Illinois title office, you can transfer title in no time.
How to Sign Over an Illinois Car Title
- Sign your name on the front of the title for “Signature(s) of Seller(s)”.
- Print your name on the front of the title for “Printed Name(s) of Seller(s)”.
- Print the name of the car buyer on the front of the title for “Assignment of Title”.
Make sure to double check the front and back of the title to confirm the information. It is important not to make any mistakes or errant marks when titling in Illinois. Not only could it cause confusion in verifying ownership, but it could cause you to need to replace the title all together. In the event you do damage or lose your Illinois car title, you can get it replaced at the DMV.
How to Replace Lost Title in Illinois
Whether you need to replace or duplicate a vehicle title in Illinois, the steps are easy. Even though it’s possible to sell a car with no title, getting your title replaced provides the safest and highest paying options.
- Fill out Form VSD 190 from the Illinois DMV.
- Provide a copy of your Photo ID for all owners.
- Pay the $50 Illinois car title fee by check, cashier’s check, or money order made out to Illinois Secretary of State.
To apply by mail, send the documents and payment to Office of the Secretary of State, Vehicle Records Processing Division, 501 S. 2nd St., Room 424, Springfield, IL 62756.
To apply in person, visit your local Illinois DMV and make sure to schedule an appointment.