How to Transfer Car Title in New Jersey
When selling your car, there is a little paperwork that needs to be done. But we want to make it as easy as possible to transfer car title in New Jersey. The process of New Jersey title transfer is actually pretty simple.
How to Sign Over a New Jersey Car Title
- Sign your name on the back of the title for “Seller’s Signature”.
- Print your name on the back of the title for “Seller’s Name”.
- Print the name of the car buyer on the back of the title.
Make sure to double check the front and back of the title to confirm the information. It is important not to make any mistakes or errant marks on your title. Not only could it cause confusion in verifying ownership, but it could cause you to need to replace the title all together. In the event you do damage or lose your NJ car title, you can get it replaced at the DMV.
How to Replace Lost Title in New Jersey
Whether you need to replace or duplicate a vehicle title in New Jersey, the steps are easy. Even though it’s possible to sell a car with no title, getting your title replaced provides the safest and highest paying options.
- Fill out Form OS/SS 130 & OS/SS-UTA from the NJ MVC.
- Provide a copy of your Photo ID for all owners.
- Pay the $60 fee by check, cashier’s check, or money order made out to New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
To apply by mail, send the documents and payment to: NJ MVC, Special Titles Section/Duplicate Titles, 225 E. State Street, PO Box 017, Trenton, NJ 08666.
To apply in person, visit your local New Jersey DMV and make sure to schedule an appointment.