How to Transfer Car Title in New York
When selling your car, there is a little paperwork that needs to be done. But we want to make it as easy as possible to transfer car title in New York State. The process of New York title transfer is actually pretty simple.
How to Sign Over a New York Car Title
- Sign your name on the back of the title for “Seller’s Signature”.
- Print your name on the back of the title for “Seller’s Name”.
- Print the name of the car buyer on the back of the title.
Make sure to double check the front and back of the title to confirm the information. It is important not to make any mistakes or errant marks on your title. Not only could it cause confusion in verifying ownership, but it could cause you to need to replace the title all together. In the event you do damage or lose your NYS car title, you can get it replaced at the DMV.
How to Replace Lost Title in New York
Whether you need to replace or duplicate a vehicle title in New York, the steps are easy. Even though it’s possible to sell a car with no title, getting your title replaced provides the safest and highest paying options.
- Fill out Form MV-902 from the NYS DMV.
- Provide a copy of your Photo ID for all owners.
- Pay the $20 fee by check, cashier’s check, or money order made out to Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
To apply by mail, send the documents and payment to: Title Bureau, NYS DMV, PO Box 2750, Albany, NY 12220.
To apply in person, visit your local New York DMV and make sure to schedule an appointment.
To apply online, click here to visit the NYS DMV website where you can replace your auto title.